Make with new season pink rhubarb for a really delicate rhubarb flavour!
Can be made ahead and frozen. Cuts into 12-16 slices.
For the cake
225g softened butter
225g golden caster sugar
125g self-raising flour (or self raising GF flour)
100g ground almonds
4 large eggs, beaten
finely grated zest of 1 orange
500g early season forced pink rhubarb, washed and cut into 3cm pieces
For the glaze/drizzle
juice of 1 orange
30g golden caster sugar
Now to make the Cake:
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter and line the base of a 23cm round spring from cake tin with baking parchment.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper, scatter over the rhubarb and roast for 10-15mins until just soft but still holding its shape. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Finally beat in the orange zest.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until combined. Add most of the rhubarb and stir through the mix. It should break up to give the pink ripple effect.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Place your reserved pieces of rhubarb on the top and bake for 50-60 mins until golden and springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile make the glaze by dissolving the sugar and juice together in a small pan and simmer gently until slightly syrupy.
- When the cake is cooked remove from the oven and place the tin on a wire rack. Whilst still warm brush the orange syrup over the surface of the cake. If you have plenty prick the cake with a skewer and drizzle over the remaining syrup. Leave to cool
Carefully release cake from tin, remove lining paper and place on serving plate.
Enjoy as a teatime cake or dessert served with crème fraiche or ice cream.