350g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
60g butter, cut in pieces
50g walnuts coarsely chopped
100-150g Stilton (or other blue cheese), cubed
1 firm pear peeled and diced into 1cm pieces
1 egg, beaten, to glaze
Large baking sheet lined with parchment
Oven 200C/Gas 6/fan oven 180C
How to make it
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs, then add the walnuts, cheese (keep a small amount aside to sprinkle on the top before baking) and pear.
- Make a well in the centre, pour in the milk and mix with a knife, using a cutting movement, until it becomes a soft sticky dough, try not to over handle.
- Tip the mixture onto the prepared tin. Flour your hands and gently work the surface, and shape the dough into a round, about 2.5cm thick and 20-23cm diameter. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
- Brush with beaten egg and mark into eight wedges with a knife but don’t cut all the way through. Sprinkle over the saved cheese and bake for 25-35 mins until risen, golden and springy to the touch.
- Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack.
- Serve immediately, cutting or breaking into wedges, or if eating later warm for a few minutes to refresh and bring out the flavours.