Cuts into 10-12 slices.
FOR THE CAKE
350g fresh gooseberries, washed, topped & tailed
200g golden caster sugar
1 tbsp elderflower cordial
140g softened butter
½ tsp baking powder (gluten free if required)
85g self-raising flour
100g desiccated coconut
23cm spring-form cake tin greased and lined
Oven 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C
How to make it
- Mix the gooseberries with 50g of the sugar and set aside whilst you make the cake mix.
- Cream the butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour, coconut and baking powder and mix gently until combined. Stir in the elderflower cordial.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
- Spoon the sugar coated gooseberries over the surface of the cake.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C and return the cake for another 15-20 minutes, or until firm in the middle.
- Cool in the tin before transferring to a rack.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar, warm with cream or ice-cream as a pudding, or cold as a cake.
Note: This is a moist cake and quite fragile, and care needs to be taken when removing from the base of the cake tin, especially if it is being served slightly warm.