A fabulous splash of colour for any lunchtime snack or dinner party starter
Makes enough for 4 – 6
1 kg of beetroot washed and trimmed and cut into quarters.
1 onion roughly chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1 litre hot vegetable stock
dried thyme leaves
freshly ground black pepper
How to make it
- Preheat your oven at around 170oC
- Place your beetroot segments into a foil lined baking tray, drizzle with 2 tbsp of oil and the runny honey, sprinkle with the dried thyme leaves, cover and roast for about 45 mins, turning occasionally.
- Remove the beetroot from the baking tray and now for the fiddly bit, scrape away the skins and discard
- Heat remaining oil in large saucepan and sweat onion until soft (do not allow to go brown).
- Add hot stock and bring to the boil, add the beetroot and simmer gently for a further 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend until smooth, adding more stock and freshly ground black pepper to achieve the right seasoning and desired consistency
- Serve with warm crusty bread.