This is an adaptation of a recipe I regularly use where I’ve change the flavour to make a light, moist and refreshingly fruity cake.
Cuts into 12-16 slices. Cake can be frozen undecorated.
FOR THE CAKE
225g butter , softened
225g golden caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 small orange & 2 tbsp juice
4 large eggs
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
FOR THE TOPPING
100g white chocolate
50g butter, softened
3 tbsp milk
175g sifted icing sugar
finely grated zest of 1 small orange
3-4 tbsp passion fruit curd
23cm spring-form cake tin greased and lined
Oven 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C
How to make it
• Place all of the cake ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and mix until combined. Alternatively place in a large mixing bowl and using a hand whisk mix for about 2 minutes.
• Spoon into prepared tin and level the surface.
• Bake for 30-40 mins, until risen and firm to the touch.
• Cool for 30 mins, remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
• For the topping, carefully melt the chocolate, butter and milk in a bowl over simmering water.
• Remove the bowl and beat in the icing sugar until smooth. Finally beat in the orange zest.
• Leave to cool and set.
• When the icing is a suitable consistency spread over the cooled cake.
• Beat the curd to loosen off and then drizzle a rough circle near the edge of the cake. Using a skewer or teaspoon handle swirl the curd in to icing.