Can be made ahead and frozen
Cuts into 10-12 pieces.
200g unsalted butter
200g plain chocolate
4 large eggs
200g golden caster sugar
50g plain flour
50g ground almonds
cocoa powder and icing sugar for dusting
23cm springform cake tin lined with baking parchment
Oven 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C
How to make it
- Put the butter and chocolate into a saucepan and gently melt together until smooth.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together for 5 mins until a trail is left on the surface when you draw the whisk from the mix.
- Pour the chocolate and butter mix into the whisked egg and sugar, then fold it in very carefully using a large metal spoon.
- Mix the flour, almonds and ¼ tsp salt together and fold into the mix.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 35-40 mins until evenly set. A crust will form over the top.
- Leave the cake to cool before releasing from the tin.
- Dust with cocoa and icing sugar and cut as required.
- Serve with your favourite ice cream or fruit, or lashings of cream.