I have adapted a cake recipe to make what has become a seasonal favourite at Beechwood.
Cuts into 12-16 pieces.
225g butter, softened
450g Bramley apples
225g light muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
225g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
For the Topping
50g butter, softened
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
20ml golden syrup (1 large tbsp)
200g unrefined golden icing sugar (normal will do)
23cm round spring form tin greased and lined
Oven 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C
How to make it
- Using an electric hand whisk, cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder into the bowl and fold in.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 1cm pieces then stir into the mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until well-risen, brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If the cake starts to look a little too brown, reduce the oven temperature slightly and extend the cooking time. Take care opening the oven before the cooking time is up as this cake has a tendency to sink in the middle!
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- Make the toffee fudge butter icing by melting the butter, milk, muscovado sugar and syrup in a small pan. Beat in the sifted icing sugar. Spread over the top of the cooled cake and serve.