It can be quite tricky to find flapjacks with just the right crunchy edges and sticky middle. I have found this to be a great basic recipe. You can add flavours of your choice; I have made a few suggestions below.
Cuts into 12-16 pieces.
200g unsalted butter
200g light muscovado sugar
200g golden syrup
250g porridge oats
150g jumbo porridge oats
20 x 30cm tin greased and lined
Oven 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C
How to make it
- Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a large saucepan.
- Stir in oats until evenly coated.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, and spread evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes and check. Turn the tin if necessary and continue cooking checking every 5 minutes. The edges will brown first, but you need the middle to be golden too. Turn the oven temperature down if necessary. As ovens vary it may take a couple of goes before you get the temperature and timing just right for the flapjack you want.
- Cool completely before removing from the tin; flapjack is quite fragile until fully cooled.
Orange & Sultana
Add the grated zest of 1 orange and 100g sultanas to the mix
Marmalade & Walnut
Add 2 tbsp orange marmalade and 100g chopped walnuts to the mix
Maple & Pecan
Use maple ‘flavoured’ golden syrup (pure maple syrup would be too thin and very expensive) and add 100g chopped pecan nuts to the mix