A delicious, moist apple cake, perfect for those chilly autumnal afternoons. Cuts into 12 slices. Not suitable for home-freezing.
175g melted butter
350g self raising flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
175g light muscovado sugar
3 medium eating apples unpeeled and cored
100g chopped dates
100g blanched roughly chopped hazelnuts
3 tbsp apricot jam
20cm spring-form cake tin greased and lined
Oven 180C / Gas 4 / Fan 160C
How to make it
- Put flour, cinnamon and sugar into a large bowl and mix well.
- Cut two apples into chunks and stir into dry ingredients with the dates and half the hazelnuts.
- Beat the eggs into the cooled butter, poor into the dry ingredients and stir gently.
- Spoon into prepared tin and smooth top.
- Thinly slice remaining apple and arrange apple rings on top of cake. Sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts.
- Bake for 50mins-1hour.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tin. Whilst cake is still warm, heat jam in a small pan and use to glaze top of cake.